Search This Blog

Sunday 9 January 2011

Writer’s Block

I have always loved writing and words. Words fascinate me. Their complexity and beauty, the power to shape ideas and thoughts, create a new vision, transport people into new worlds – words have always been an intimate intrinsic part of me. However, over the past few years, I have suffered a form of writer’s block, a lethargic indolence.  Caught up in my other passion (property development), writing cooled, my pen was downed, thoughts died before they were born, characters were assassinated at infancy.

But, but, a few months ago, the Lord gave me the germ of a new work. Lethargic lazy me got as far as buying a cool looking notebook, 10 brand new biros, I fleshed out the outline, and made numerous visits to Starbucks to let the words flow – hahahahahaha. 

There were numerous cups of White Caffe Mocha with whipped cream drunk, and  loads of cinnamon swirls, fruit bread slices & biscottis 'sacrificed' to sop up the coffee. I consumed 1000’s of calories, read many books, completed numerous crosswords, took up Sudoku, put loads of cash into Starbuck’s tills; but produced less than 500 words!

Then an old friend came to my aid. I had kept a personal blog many years ago which I had saved on a disk and mislaid – until I stumbled across a cache of old saved floppy disks. Anyway, my friend asked to read a couple of entries and came back with a word of encouragement. 

So if this blogs sucks, y’all know who to blame! LOL

No comments: