Search This Blog

Monday 19 November 2012

"Hold my heart ... I don't wanna let go too soon" ... music & video


"Does anybody know how to hold my heart
How to hold my heart?
'Cause I don't want to let go, let go, let go too soon

I want to tell you so before the sun goes dark
How to hold my heart
'Cause I don't want to let go, let go, let go of you"


And Sara Bareilles sings plaintively - 'Does anybody know how to hold my heart? I don't wanna let go of you' ...

Tis been a lazy Sunday here. I've just finished giving myself a pedicure, washed off my clay mud face-mask, and I am now chilling and reflecting upon the words of the song. Let me explain - I always find myself listening out for the words of a song - sure the tune might be banging, but if the words aren't right, it doesn't really do much for me. I love the way the words in this song are cleverly presented as a 'make-up' or 'break-up' song - it's left up to the two people in the relationship to decide what to do.

Too often when our hearts are really involved, the temptation arises to hide the depths of our feelings from the other person. We don't want to reveal how much losing them would hurt. When we are truly in love however, we all want the person we love 'to hold our hearts' and to not let go of us, no matter how bad things are at the time. 

True love never wants to give up, it never wants to walk away, it stubbornly believes that things will get better. However love cannot exist in a vacuum - it takes two people to be in a love relationship. No matter how fierce or determined or passionate or committed the love of one person in the relationship is for the other, that one person cannot love enough for both parties in the relationship. When love is not returned, it is NOT a relationship! LOL. At least, it is not the kind of relationship that any self-respecting adult should want or choose to be in. 

You cannot love another person so much that they will be forced to love you in return. It doesn't quite work that way. Love cannot be forced, manipulated, coerced or demanded. Love can be 'won', yes, but it is still a gift that is freely given. When you are blessed enough to be given that gift and you also love the other in return, then hold unto what you have tightly. 

Don't let go.

xx

No comments: