Search This Blog

Thursday 8 November 2012

Stormy Weather...

Jesus Calms the Storm

35 As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.” 36 So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed).37 But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water.
38 Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?”
39 When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. 40 Then he asked them, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
41 The disciples were absolutely terrified. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “Even the wind and waves obey him!” 


Mark 4: 35 - 41


Jesus, my refuge in the Storm

For many years, despite having the ability to look and sound outwardly calm & unruffled no matter what was going on around me, I used to fret inwardly if stuff I wanted wasn't happening the way I wanted or if things were going wrong.

However, when I found myself staring into the abyss, when I reached the end of myself, when i felt completely helpless and without any strength, when nothing around me was working the way it should, then I truly found real peace.

GOD has come to mean more to me this year than He ever has. Yes, the waves have billowed, my boat has been rocked tremendously, huge storms have broken around me, and I have sometimes felt adrift and alone on a huge ocean, in a tiny boat that is shuddering, taking in water and looking for all the world like it is capsizing. But I have come to know (practically & not just in theory) that JESUS is in my boat with me. He will calm the waves and the storm. Because of Him, I can trust and believe I'll get across safely to the other side. He's the One who said, let's take a boat across to the other side. Jesus WILL get to the other side. So despite it looking like He is sleeping and doesn't care, my job is not to fret or panic. All I need to do is grab a pillow and go to sleep too! LOL. If Jesus ain't drowning, then neither am I.

GOD's great gift of peace is one to be cherished. We really cannot lose our peace once we understand that the peace GOD gives us is not a 'feeling'. GOD's peace is a person. Jesus Christ is the Prince of Peace. He will never leave or forsake us. He urges us to be at peace in the middle of the storm. He says, 'I am right here. Let not your heart be troubled. Keep your eyes fixed on Me and not on the circumstances around you. I'll never ever let you go. I always have your back.'

Battered storm-tossed city, you will be rebuilt upon foundations of solid gold & precious gemstones.

GOD is on my (our) side. It doesn't matter whether I have everything or nothing. With Him in my life, I have absolutely everything important that I need. Take the whole world away from me, but just leave me with Jesus. I will depend upon Him & lean upon Him always.

He is my anchor.

xx

No comments: